|This article features content from the Harry Potter Wiki. Harry Potter Wiki content is used with the understanding that all Wikia content is licensed under the CC-BY-SA and caution should be used when transferring material that may reference content outside the seven Harry Potter novels, or which was not specifically approved by J. K. Rowling.|
Dog (subspecies name Canis lupus familiaris) also known as hound is a subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus), a member of the Canidae family of the mammilian order Carnivora. The term "domestic dog" is generally used for both domesticated and feral varieties.
Dogs in the wizarding worldEdit
In the wizarding world, dogs are kept as pets or may sometimes serve as guardians of certain objects. For example, during the 1991–1992 school year at Hogwarts, the three-headed dog Fluffy guarded the Philosopher's Stone. Once the Stone had been destroyed, Fluffy was set free in the Forbidden Forest. Rubeus Hagrid, Hogwarts gamekeeper also had a boar hound named Fang. The name didn't suit him well as even Hagrid called him a coward.
There are also magical subtypes of dogs, such as three-headed dogs, Gytrash and Grim. Ron Weasley's Patronus takes the form of a Jack Russell Terrier, a breed of hunting dog common in Great Britain and Ireland.
Dogs in the Muggle worldEdit
In the Muggle world, dogs also are kept as companions, being very faithful and, with proper training, can guard valuable objects or people or act as service, rescue and police dogs. Harry Potter's Aunt Marge bred bulldogs and in 1993 when she visited the Dursley house, she brought one of her favourites who was old and rather ill-tempered, named Ripper. Often in the Muggle world, larger dogs are given fierce names to make them seem more ferocious.
List of known dogsEdit
- Marjorie Dursley's unknown eleven bulldogs
- Rosmerta's dog
- Giffard Abbott's dog
- Lucius Malfoy's dogs
- Grim (possible)
Known dog PatronusesEdit
- Ron Weasley - Ron learnt to cast a corporeal Patronus while practicing with other Dumbledore's Army members. Exact breed of his Patronus is Jack Russell Terrier.
Known dog AnimagiEdit
- Sirius Black - he learnt it along with Peter Pettigrew (rat) and James Potter (stag), in order to companion his friend Remus Lupin, when taking Werewolf form. Sirius once considered James's joking suggestion of remaining full-time as a dog, but felt that the fleas "would be murder."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1st appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban'
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows