Defence Against the Dark Arts is a class which teaches the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry how to defend themselves in magical situations.
It was cursed by Lord Voldemort when he attempted to apply for a position teaching the subject, and since then no teacher has lasted more than a year. Teachers who have taught this subject include: Quirinus Quirrell, Gilderoy Lockhart, Remus Lupin, Barty Crouch Jr. in disguise of Alastor Moody, Dolores Umbridge, Severus Snape and Amycus Carrow. Under Amycus Carrow the subject was changed to the teaching of the Dark Arts.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows